Leadership Lowndes Youth Application
Participants in the Leadership Lowndes Youth program will be residents of Lowndes County and members of the Sophomore or Junior Classes.
The objectives of Leadership Lowndes Youth program include:
- Assist students in developing a sense of community and awareness of community issues.
- Assist students in developing leadership skills
- Provide an opportunity for students to network with other students and community leaders.
- Motivate students to become involved in service projects designed to address community needs and opportunities.
Participants in Leadership Lowndes Youth are selected based on their recognized and potential leadership, and the merit of their application. The Selection Committee strives to achieve a geographical, racial, and socioeconomic balance in its selections.
Students who are selected as participants in Leadership Lowndes Youth are REQUIRED to attend the retreat and Program Days. Participants will be exposed to various aspects of Lowndes County and hear from leaders in our community. Students will benefit from full participation in discussions, activities, and community service projects.
At the end of the program, participants will have a broader knowledge of Valdosta and Lowndes County. They will develop leadership skills and have a new network of relationships with students that have diverse backgrounds.
It is mandatory that each student attend ALL EVENTS in order to receive credit for the program and graduate.
If an emergency arises (i.e. illness or death in family), a written explanation must be submitted to the Leadership Lowndes Youth Vice President. The VP will determine if the absence is excused.
NO ABSENCES are accepted for the retreat weekend, February 1-2, 2020.
- Welcome Reception on Wednesday, January 15, 2020
- Retreat on Saturday and Sunday, February 1-2, 2020
- Program days: Approximate Time will be from 7:30 a.m. – 4:00p.m.
- Wednesday, February 12, 2020
- Wednesday, March 11, 2020
- Wednesday, April 8, 2020
- Active participation in a community service project selected by LLY
- Attend 1 City Council OR 1 County Commission meeting between January and March 2020
- Graduation on Wednesday, April 29, 2020
For any questions regarding the LLY Application process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.